The history of Brandon is full of interesting people who have helped to shape the city as we know it today. Use the links below to explore the names from Brandon's past.

People (Glossary)


Paterson, George A.

The house at 1340 Louise Ave was built by the Bell Brothers for George A. Patterson, the plant manager for Brandon Electric Light Company who, in 1925, became the head of the Canada Gas and Electric Company. Patterson's previous residence was several blacks away at 1039 Louise Ave.


Patmore, Henry L.

Henry Patmore was a horticulturist who first purchased a tree nursery in Brandon in 1889. The nurseryman matched his horticultural interests with politics and public service. He served as alderman on city council for ten years during which he embarked on a personal crusade to beautify the city by promoting tree plantings along the boulevards. Mr. Patmore was the first chairman of the Ratepayers Association, served on the Provincial Exhibition Board, and was the first president of the Brandon Wheat Pool. Eight years after his death, city officials named Patmore Drive in his honour.


Payne, Peter

Peter Payne was a prominent Brandon businessman. Born in England, Payne was in Manitoba as early as 1882. In the 1890s, he worked as the proprietor of the Beaubier Hotel. When the Empire Brewing Company was established in 1903, Payne was one of the company’s first investors. He soon became the company’s president, and held this position for many years. Payne also served as president of the Brandon Summer Fair Board and of the Provincial Exhibition. An active member of the community, he was a member of a local driving club, and president of the Brandon Turf Club and the Arts and Agricultural Society. Peter Payne had the home at 458 – 12th St. built in 1902 and resided there until his death in 1934.


Pierce, Dr. S.J.S.

Dr. Sidney J.S. Pierce was a local physician. Born in England, he arrived in Canada as a young boy and went on to obtain a medical degree from the University of Manitoba. He completed his postgraduate work in Germany before returning to Canada during the First World War to serve in the Canadian Army Medical Corps. After the war ended in 1918, Pierce came to Brandon to work in the medical clinic established by W.A. Bigelow. Pierce practiced at the clinic until his death in 1951. Pierce’s career saw him serve as President of the Manitoba Medical Association and as Honorary President of the Manitoba Association of Pathology. He also served as president of both the Brandon Parks Board and the Brandon Camera Club.