924 Rosser Avenue
(Lots 21/22, Block 60, Plan 2)
Brandon, Manitoba
Designation Date: July 24, 1995
Designation Authority: The City of Brandon

The Laplont Block was built in 1892 for Brandon’s first barber, Jack Laplont. Laplont operated a barbershop and cigar store here for several years; however, the block’s high cost of construction and upkeep ruined Laplont financially. In 1900 the building was sold to the Confederation Life Association which occupied it until 1902. Mutter and Lynch Grocers rented the building for their retail business, then subsequently purchased the block in 1905. In 1907 the store was renamed Mutter Brothers Grocery Store and was operated by the Mutter family until the business closed in 1976. Many of the store’s original furnishings and fixtures are on display in Brandon’s Daly House Museum.

The two-storey block was designed in the Romanesque Revival style by local contractor F.J. Chubb. The block’s brick facade is highlighted with heavy stone arches on the second floor. Small, semi-circular stained glass panels are inset across the top of the second-storey arched windows. Decorative end pieces highlight the cornice above the first floor and the roof line.

The LaPlont block is the only building on the block whose entire original facade remains intact.

Download this information as a PDF