446 – 7th Street
(Lots 3/4, Block 7, Plan 2)
Brandon, Manitoba
Designation Date: February 25, 2002
Designation Authority: The City of Brandon

Construction of this residence began in 1904 and was completed in 1906. The house and lands were owned and occupied by Edwin H. Johnson and his family for the next seventy-two years, until 1978. Mr. Johnson, a hardware merchant, was the owner of Johnson Hardware. Johnson’s business, which was established in 1885 and located on the southeast corner of Ninth Street and Rosser Avenue, remained in operation until 1959.

The residential structure was built by C. Lillington and designed by notable Brandon architect W. A. Elliot. The home incorporates the designs of the Queen Anne Revival style of architecture. It features a large verandah with classic columns, patterned shingles on the verandah foundation, several bay windows, a bulls- eye window, a stained glass “piano” window, and classic pediments over the windows on the north and south elevations. Windows feature rectangular, segmented, and brick semielliptical arches and stone sills.

The existing front exterior door is original to the house and is of a raised panel style with horizontal panels topped with a leaded glass window. The interior foyer door is similar in style with a leaded glass window incorporating a fleur-de-lis and diamond pattern. Much of the original interior woodwork has also been retained on the main floor.

Download this information as a PDF