436 Victoria Avenue
(Lot 16/21, Block 77, Plan 8)
Designation Date: April 22, 1993
Designation Authority: The City of Brandon
This three-storey residence, built in approximately 1901, was the former home of Dr. Albert E. McKenzie, the founder and owner of A.E. McKenzie Seed Company Limited. Established in 1897, it quickly became Western Canada’s largest seed company and remains one of Brandon’s oldest commercial institutions. Dr. McKenzie was a prominent businessman and philanthropist, with a keen interest in Brandon College.
Located on an oversized corner lot, this Queen Anne-style brick home is a fine example of substantial domestic architecture. It features an enclosed porch on the second floor, a decorative gable roof with brackets and cornice line dentils, an open verandah with column supports, a two-storey bay window, and transom lights above the front door.
The home has been maintained as a single family residence and retains much of its original grandeur and opulence.