122 – 18th Street
(Lots 24/31, Block 25, Plan 15)
Brandon, Manitoba
Designation Date: August 28, 2000
Designation Authority: The City of Brandon

The original portion of this building was constructed in 1882 during Brandon’s first decade of settlement for the city’s first mayor, Thomas Mayne Daly. The Honourable T. Mayne Daly devoted many years to the building of Brandon in the early days and to the public affairs of Western Canada, being Manitoba’s first Member of Parliament to hold a cabinet portfolio. He was also appointed as Canada’s first Juvenile Court Judge in 1909.

This building borrows from Georgian and Italianate architectural styles. The home’s Georgian characteristics include a steeply pitched roof, hipped dormers, a facade divided into an odd number of bays and moulding detail on dormers and under the eaves. The Italianate features include segmental windows with decorative voussoirs and sills, a bay window, a decorative brick belt, and brick corbelling. The architect firm for the building was McCoskie & Co.

In 1896, Daly sold the home to his law partner, George R. Coldwell. Coldwell and his family resided here for over thirty years and were responsible for the third floor addition. A final extension and other renovations were made from 1928 to 1972 when the home was occupied by The Maples orphanage. In 1976 the address was purchased by Brandon Museum Inc. and opened two years later as the Daly House Museum.

Download this information as a PDF