(Lots 19/20 and the SLY 3.5 ft. of Lot 18, Block 3, Plan 2)
Brandon, Manitoba
Designation Date: November 5th, 2012
Designation Authority: The City of Brandon

This Queen Anne-style home was built in 1903 for barrister George B. Coleman. Coleman, a partner in the firm Coldwell, Coleman & Noble, resided here until 1919.

In 1920, the home was purchased by Oscar L. Harwood. Harwood, proprietor of O.L. Harwood Ltd., was a real estate and insurance broker. He was also a prominent member of the community, serving on the Brandon Hospital Board, the Board of Trade, and the Winter Fair Board. In 1937, the city of Brandon defaulted on its bonds and Harwood was appointed by the Provincial Government to return the city to a stable financial position. Harwood lived here until his death in 1945.

From 1945 to 1974 the home was owned by Marjorie Elliot Jackson. In 1944 Marjorie was the matron in charge of an all-Canadian personnel wing, which treated those who suffered burns or disfigurement during the war. Marjorie designed a recovery program which included integrating the wounded back into the local community. Ms. Jackson was the recipient of the Associate Royal Red Cross for war services awarded at Buckingham Palace and, in 1948, became the former Superintendent of Nursing at the Brandon General Hospital.

This 2 ½ story home features a gable roof with asphalt shingles and wall dormer windows, columns and pediments, a verandah, and an enclosed second story balcony.

Download this information as a PDF