Skip to main navigation Skip to main content Skip to footer

Built in 1904, this Georgian-style home originally belonged to Jason Burchill. Burchill was a butcher who first arrived in Brandon in 1884. In his early career, Burchill was employed at the meat market in the Burchill & Howey Block, which was owned by his brother, William John Burchill. By 1888, Jason had opened his own business. His butcher shop was located in the J. Burchill Block at 719 Rosser Avenue, which was erected in 1911. Burchill was also a prominent member of the Brandon community and served on city council for two years. Burchill resided at 437 Lorne Avenue until  his death in 1937. His wife lived in the home for another eight years.

The design combines a gable and hipped roof with dormers, a detailed chimney, and skylight. The roof is trimmed with wide eaves, brackets, bargeboard, and frieze detailing. The entrance is adorned with columns and a pediment. Palladian, bay, and stained glass windows add elegance to the design.

 

Do you have any stories or comments to share about a heritage property in the City of Brandon? Contact us online.