Skip to main navigation Skip to main content Skip to footer

By the turn of the twentieth century, Rosser Avenue, Brandon’s main commercial thoroughfare, was a lively street, lined with buildings of the finest of architectural quality. One block, between 9th and 10th streets was amongst the best, boasting a number of fine building facades. An example is the Burchill & Howey Block, built in 1902 and designed by notable Brandon architect, W. A. Elliott. The main floor of the structure was originally used by its owners as a retail butcher shop until 1945 when the property was sold to the Gooden family who operated a retail mens' clothier business from the premises for almost 45 years.

The design of the building is a study in elegant styling, with arched windows, decorative brick and stone bands and corbel tables set at the top of the parapet wall. The interior includes an atrium and staircase with detail railing leading from the second floor to the third floor, and a skylight located on the roof of the third floor.

Do you have any stories or comments to share about a heritage property in the City of Brandon? Contact us online.