Skip to main navigation Skip to main content Skip to footer

Since it was built in 1899, this large Queen Anne-style home has served both residential and commercial purposes. Early residents of the home include real estate agent George Williamson and insurance agent Thomas H. Downey. The home’s commercial history began in 1928, when it was purchased by Samuel S. Strachan, an agricultural implements retailer who lived and operated his business, Strachan & Sons, at this location. From 1933 to 1947, H.W. Williamson and family lived and managed the Wheat City Dairy at this address. By 1949, the home could no longer accommodate both the Williamsons and their business; they continued to live in their home and had a new dairy built next door at 728 10th Street.

The design features a hipped roof trimmed with dentils, flared wide eaves, and moulded friezes. The exterior is embellished with a detailed brick chimney, as well as an open verandah decorated with columns and a pediment. Gable-shaped dormers shelter palladian windows and their decorative surrounds. There is also a bay window and numerous double-hung windows which allow natural light to enter the home.

Do you have any stories or comments to share about a heritage property in the City of Brandon? Contact us online.