Skip to main navigation Skip to main content Skip to footer

The Chicago-style block on the corner 7th St. and Rosser Avenue was constructed in 1907 for Mr. E. Crawford. Following fire damage in 1916, the block was almost completely rebuilt by architect David Marshall. The Crawford Block was occupied by men’s clothing retailer Gooden & Rae for over thirty years. In 1941, the building was acquired by P.A. Kennedy Music Co. Ltd., and the building became the Kennedy Block. P.A. Kennedy Music Co. Ltd. operated at this location for over thirty years; the sign for the business is still faintly visible. For another thirty years following, the building was occupied by the Trade Fair Exchange. The block has recently undergone extensive restoration and now offers both commercial and residential space.

The block’s most distinguishing feature is the intricate cornice, which is lavishly decorated with brackets, dentils, and moulding detail. Other design elements include pilasters and a canted corner. Segmental windows are embellished with canopies, decorative sills, and decorative voussoirs.

Do you have any stories or comments to share about a heritage property in the City of Brandon? Contact us online.