Skip to main navigation Skip to main content Skip to footer

Construction of this residence began in 1904 and was completed in 1906. The house and lands were owned and occupied by Edwin H. Johnson and his family for the next 72 years until 1978.Mr. Johnson, a hardware merchant, was the owner of Johnson Hardware, built in 1885, which was located on the southeast corner of Ninth Street and Rosser Avenue and remained in operation until 1959.

The residential structure was build by C. Lillington and designed by notable Brandon architect W. A. Elliot. The home incorporates the designs of the Queen Anne Revival style of architecture. It features a large veranda with classic columns, patterned shingles on the verandah foundation, several bay windows, a bulls-eye window, a stained glass “piano” window, and classic pediments over the windows on the north and south elevations. Windows feature rectangular, segmented and brick semielliptical arches and stone sills.

The existing front exterior door is original to the house and is of a raised panel style with horizontal panels topped with a leaded glass window. The interior foyer door is similar in style with a leaded glass window incorporating a fleur-de-lis and a diamond pattern. Much of the original interior woodwork has also been retained on the main floor.

Do you have any stories or comments to share about a heritage property in the City of Brandon? Contact us online.