Skip to main navigation Skip to main content Skip to footer

This Queen Anne-style home was built in 1903 for barrister George B. Coleman. Coleman, a partner in the firm Coldwell, Coleman & Noble, resided here until 1919. In 1920, the home was purchased by Oscar L. Harwood. Harwood, proprietor of O.L. Harwood Ltd., was a real estate and insurance broker. He was also a prominent member of the community, serving on the Brandon Hospital Board, the Board of Trade, and the Winter Fair Board. In 1937, the city of Brandon defaulted on its bonds and Harwood was appointed by the Provincial Government to return the city to a stable financial position.  Harwood lived at 339 Victoria Avenue until his death in 1945.

 The 2 ½ storey home features a gable roof with gable-shaped and wall dormers and a pent extension. A palladian window adorns the decorative gable. The home’s open verandah features columns and a pediment. An enclosed balcony and canted bay window decorate the second storey.

Do you have any stories or comments to share about a heritage property in the City of Brandon? Contact us online.