Skip to main navigation Skip to main content Skip to footer

The First Presbyterian Church was established in Brandon in 1925. Services were held in the original City Hall and later in the Strand Theatre before the decision was made to erect a new structure that could better accommodate the church’s growing congregation. The cornerstone of the current church was laid in May 1928, and the building was completed only six months later. During the Great Depression, services were held in the lower auditorium because the congregation could not afford to heat the sanctuary. The Tudor Gothic-style church was designed by architect and congregation member W.H. Shillinglaw and features detailed brickwork, a variety of rooflines, recessed entrances, and a tower with a battlement. The exterior is a pleasing combination of limestone and brick. The education wing was added in 1962. Inside there are interesting elements such as a dumb waiter in what was formerly the ladies’ parlour, and beautiful stained glass windows that are visible only from the church’s interior.

Do you have any stories or comments to share about a heritage property in the City of Brandon? Contact us online.