Skip to main navigation Skip to main content Skip to footer

The row of seven large two-story wood frame homes toward the south end of the 300 block of 15th Street were built by the Gillespie Lumber Company on speculation between 1904 and 1908. The much more recently built exterior stairways attached to the front of these buildings suggest that they were originally designed as single-family homes. The large apartment block across the street is Hobbs Manor, a retirement home, named after former Anglican Dean, R.H. (Harry) Hobbs, who died in 1979. For most of the twentieth century, this was the site of Park School, named for its proximity to Stanley Park. The school was erected in 1904 and demolished in 1979. The playground behind Hobbs Manor was part of the schoolyard. There is no longer a school in this neighbourhood.

The next stop on the tour is the first of many homes in this neighbourhood built by The Bell Brothers, by far the most prominent building contractors in early Brandon William Bell, the principle partner in the business, moved to Brandon in 1882 . His work spanned four decades. The Bell Brothers were noted for their use of high quality materials and fine workmanship. They constructed both public and private buildings and at one time employed over forty workers.

Do you have any stories or comments to share about a heritage property in the City of Brandon? Contact us online.