Skip to main navigation Skip to main content Skip to footer

This Bungalow-style home was designed and built by Frank C. Lissaman in 1927. It is one of three bungalows in a row that were built by the contractor. The gable roof offers a great amount of detail, including a decorative gable, bargeboard trim, dentils, wide eaves, and exposed rafters. The windows are decorated with canopies and decorative surrounds. The front façade features a semi-enclosed porch supported by oversized columns with brick detailing. Pilasters also accent the home’s exterior. The house was originally owned by dry goods merchant Barney A. Portigal. For much of its early history, the home did not see many occupants stay for longer than two years. Past occupants include David D. Cossar, division master mechanic for the CPR; Lenton J. Rust, manager of Canadian Motors Ltd.; physician Dr. F. Fjelsted; Peter J. Finley, manager of the Royal Bank of Canada; and Kenneth Trevena, manager of Willson Stationary Co.

Do you have any stories or comments to share about a heritage property in the City of Brandon? Contact us online.