Skip to main navigation Skip to main content Skip to footer

Constructed in 1905, this block was originally built as the Hamilton Provident & Loan Society. It was designed by Hamilton architect Charles Mills, who built numerous Bank of Hamilton branches both in Hamilton and across the prairies. After five years, the bank moved to another address. Other occupants have included the Royal Bank of Canada, physicians Edmison & Elliott, barrister S.H. McKay, and the Mutual Life Assurance Co. of Canada. In 1923, the building became the Crawford Drug Block when it was acquired by Crawford’s Drug Store. The store, run by George N. Crawford, operated at the address for over thirty years.

The block is decorated with moulding, dentils, and brick corbelling around the roofline. Decorative sills surround the windows. Other details include a canopy and wood siding.

The Bank of Montreal, designed by W.A. Elliott, shows that Brandon architects could produce exceptionally fine buildings in the latest architectural styles. The banking client enters through the central portico, an entrance finely designed and decorated in stone. The doorway is edged with delicate garlands; flat pilasters support an entablature and a balcony-like balustrade.

The Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish was instituted in 1904. The first church was built on the corner of First Street and Lorne Avenue. As more Ukrainian families moved to Brandon, the small church could not accommodate the growth and a larger, European style church was built at 933 Assiniboine Avenue. Leo Mol, a famous artist and sculptor, painted the beautiful images on the ceiling of the church which still exist today. In 1997 contractors refinished the exterior of the church and added a new foyer to the structure.  In 1999, the interior of the church was upgraded. Stained glass windows were installed, new pews replaced the old ones, and a new chandelier (imported from Greece) was installed. In 2011, the restoration of the Leo Mol paintings was undertaken by Master Artist Jozef Riebesteijn.  In addition, the carpet in the sanctuary was removed and the hardwood floor was restored to a beautiful finish. New high tech lighting was installed and the walls were painted a beautiful burgundy color. This created a tone of majestic grace to the ambiance of the Church.

Designed by architect W.A. Elliott, the Yukon Block was built in 1902. The handsome two-storey building features a flat roof adorned with brick corbelling and a battlement. The brick exterior is decorated with pendants and a brick belt. The windows are accented with canopies, stone lintels, and voussoirs.  An inscription bearing the name and date of construction is featured at the centre of the building’s façade.

Offering both residential and commercial space, the block has been occupied by many different owners throughout its history. Past occupants include the Brandon Construction Company Ltd., American Shoe Co., barristers Howden & Howden, and Willson Stationery Co.  

Designed by F.J. Chubb, the LaPlont Block is the only building of the set whose whole façade is complete. For more than three-quarters of this century the Mutter Brothers' Grocery Store maintained its early period fixtures and furnishings on the right-hand side of the ground floor. The store has been recreated in the Brandon Museum Inc. (Daly House Museum).

Do you have any stories or comments to share about a heritage property in the City of Brandon? Contact us online.